Original Super Chews
This “original” recipe keeps it basic and is a power house for athletic performance. Filled with instant energy from dates & raisins and balanced out with healthy fats and protein from almonds. This recipe will keep you going strong no matter what your athletic pursuit is for the day! You can also cut these into bite sized pieces making it convenient to take on long runs, bike rides or hikes etc.
- 10 Dates
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 Cup Almond Butter
- 2 tbsp. Cacao powder (add up to 1/3 cup if you want a real chocolaty flavor)
- 1 Tbsp. Whole almonds (optional)
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. cacao nibs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp. water or almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
– Mix almond milk or water with vanilla and set aside
– Pit and chop dates into a fine paste. This gets sticky but not too bad. Put in your Food processor with the S blade along with the raisins, almond butter salt, and vanilla mix.
– Blend until mixture balls up. You may have to stop it once to get contents off the sides and lid.
– Add in whole almonds and cacao nibs and pulse to mix in. (optional step)
– Place parchment paper over a cookie sheet and lightly “grease” paper with coconut oil to prevent sticking.
– Fill a bowl with warm water to dip your hands in to keep bar mixture from sticking to them.
– Place mixture on parchment paper and dip hands in water. Gently kneed bar mixture into a rectangle or square with your hands, dipping them in water bowl as needed.
– Bake for about 50 minutes.
– Let cool and cut into squares, bite size pieces or slices. Makes about 9 servings.