Not everyone likes pumpkin but we here at the Pilot Fitness Kitchen we love it! Not only does it help keep your eyes healthy, keep you slim, increase your antioxidant intake (especially beta-carotene) and quicken your recovery from a workout (potassium) but it also tastes great! Pumpkin is a great on it’s own, pureed into a soup or can even be “hidden” by mixing with other stronger vegetables or legumes.
The pumpkin we used here is a Jarrahdale. You often see these around Halloween and they have a beautiful slate green color before baking. We left ours as a centerpiece on the table for a while before cooking as it was so pretty!
Cooking these could not be more simple:
- Jarrahdale Pumpkin (or any large gourd of your choice)
– Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
– Cut 2 steam holes in pumpkin. Small triangles work well to let enough steam out.
– Place on a baking sheet and place in oven to cook for 1 hour to 1.5 hours. If you want to speed up the process you can increase the temperature to 375 and just watch to make sure it does not burn.
– Poke with a knife throughout the process to test when done. The knife should easily go through the flesh.
– Remove from oven and let cool.
– Slice in half and remove seeds
– Scoop out flesh and serve as a side dish or store in an air tight container.